Monday, February 6, 2012

Passing Daisies Mango Coconut Pancakes

Happy Monday my wonderful readers.

I am so excited to share a guest post with you all from Rachael (I'll let her have formal introductions below).

I just want to say though that I thoroughly enjoy reading Rachael's blog as she has some wonderful recipes, honest reviews of products, and a fantastic sense of humor.  She is a vegetarian with a carnivorous boyfriend.  They are a cute pair.

I will stop gabbing and give this over to Rachael...

Hey there, My Naturally Frugal Family readers! My name is Rachael, and I blog over at Passing Daisies! I’m really excited to be guest posting for you guys – I mean, Rachel and I even share the same name (clearly our name is amazing). Mine just has an extra letter J Anyways, Rachel’s blog is great and I appreciate her sharing her blog with me!

Passing Daisies is my personal health and baking blog, which I started a little over a year ago. I do my best to feature vegetarian cooking, baking, and healthy living tips for people of all ages – and I love every moment of it. Food and blogging are two of my biggest passions in life! I love reading meeting new people and interacting with my readers, so please stop by sometime and say hello!

Today I want to share with you one of my favorite breakfast recipes: Mango Coconut Pancakes. Holy crap, are these amazing! The mango topping is just divine – so sticky and sweet. I know the picture doesn’t do them much justice, but I seriously recommend trying this recipe for yourself. They are based off of my Cinnamon Coconut Pancakes, which you can find the recipe for on Passing Daisies.



Mango Coconut Pancakes
Makes 8 pancakes


1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour

1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 t. Stevia
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 c. almond milk
1 t. vanilla
2 T. Earth Balance Coconut Spread, melted

3 T. unsweetened coconut flakes
Very SMALL amount of oil for frying
Mango Topping
2 mangos, diced
4 T. agave nectar

1. In a medium bowl, combine flours, Stevia, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coconut flakes, and cinnamon.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and melted EB coconut spread.
3. Combine the two mixtures and whisk until batter is smooth.
4. Heat a SMALL amount of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. To do this, you can just lightly wet a napkin with oil and rub on the bottom of the skillet.
5. Using a 1/4 c. measure or a large ice cream scoop, pour batter into heated skillet, making only one pancake at a time.
6. Cook until you see bubbles forming on the top of the batter, then carefully flip pancake and cook until the other side is golden brown.



For the Mango Topping:

1. Place mango and agave in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Let cook until agave has evaporated, leaving the mango sticky and sweet and golden brown. 
3. For added flavor, allow the mango to cook until caramelization starts to occur. 


Assembly:

Take a pancake, drizzle with agave, place a spoonful of mango on top, and sprinkle with more coconut flakes. Yum!



Thank you Rachael for the fantastic post.  I know my kids are going to love these as they are pancake-aholics.

What kind of pancakes do you like?  Syrup or fresh fruit on top?  Or do you go wild and use a whipped topping?

6 comments:

  1. Mmm - now you've got me thinking pancakes! I've never put magnos over mine, but what a good idea! I love adding fruit to my breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice guest post, and these pancakes sound wonderful! I love pancakes with either syrup or fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut and mango, and together even better, great post and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a mango! And anything with coconut- my family goes cuckoo over. Can't wait to try them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah...I could go for coconut pancakes! Especially with a sticky mango topping...yum! Nice to meet you, Rachael!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Rachel & Rachael for this fantastic guest post! The pancakes sound wonderful! I'd love to give them a try this weekend as our special Sunday breakfast. I'm sure my little pancake monster will love them! :)

    ReplyDelete