Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ratatouille Burgers...FINALLY!

I posted a while back, well actually I posted it here, a ratatouille burger I had topped with a heaping serving of kale.

I have finally gotten around to making them so that photographs could be taken (nothing like a little step by step pictorial).

So without further ado my Ratatouille Burger:

1 small eggplant
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 medium sized tomato (I took the pic with cherry tomatoes and then changed my mind as to what I used)
1/2 C bread crumbs (seasoned or not is your call)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp parsley
3-4 fresh leaves of basil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste (since all veggies no worries about food poisoning)


Slice your eggplant, zucchini, and squash then place in food processor.


Pulse the processor so that you are left with small chunks (you do not want a puree).


Dump these mixture out into a bowl.  Into the food processor next goes your tomato in chunks and your basil leaves. 


This you will process a little more fine as this is the wet that will hold the ingredients together.


Put this in the bowl with your eggplant, zucchini, and squash mixture. 

Add to that your remaining ingredients.


The way I've concocted my recipe the burger turns out soft like a crab cake.  If you want a firmer burger you could add more bread crumbs or include corn or smashed black beans to firm up the consistency.

I patted out my burger and fried it in a little bit of vegetable oil.

Be careful to allow it to brown on each side at least 5 minutes on medium heat.  You don't want to do too much flipping as you could break apart your burger.

In the end I put my burger on a toasted bun and a bed of....what else?  KALE!



I know both pictures are pretty similar but I just couldn't decide on which one to post...so I give you two shots of my delicious burger.

This is truly a versatile item and can be seasoned a hundred different ways.  For some added spice you could include some roasted chile peppers (which I had in the fridge but just wasn't feeling very caliente last night), you could add water chesnuts for some crunch, or some green beans...really just a great way to get in some healthy veggies.

I hope you enjoy this and if you try it let me know how it works out.

Also remember to enter my Rudi's Organic Bakery giveaway that ends tomorrow (Friday October 14th). :)

Happy Thursday to you all!

20 comments:

  1. Wow this looks delicious and it is so creative! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I will be giving this recipe a try for sure!!
    It looks really yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks Really Tasty. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to trying these burgers. They look delish! Your step-by-step photos are brilliant :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks terrific! I really look forward to making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting a good veggie burger recipe, and I think the daughter might be teaching the mother!

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome! I can't wait to make these. Thank you so much for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh i LOVE this!!
    Some of my fav foods and spices in one little patty =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never thought of making a ratatoullie burger - what a great idea! Love the photos too! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that just looks delicious. And on a bed of kale- the ONLY way.... he he! So glad to have found your blog (and your recipes and tips). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an unbelieveably creative recipe! Thanks for the inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the most creative veggie burger I've ever seen! I love mushrooms and can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious but too loose. I think I will cut backing the tomatoes.

      Delete
    2. I added more breadcrumbs yummy. I had one for breakfast! This will be a regular!

      Delete
  13. I love ratatouille, so I know I'd love these marvelous burgers! What a fabulous innovative idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm saving this one! Looks delicious!! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you tried baking them? or eating them raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I just made them, definitely not a "burger" when raw. I baked them for 40 minutes and they were still falling apart. I think I will try less tomato and/or more bread crumbs next time. They are definitely a keeper!!!

      Delete
  16. These look really, really, really incredible!!! I thought it VERY IMPORTANT to tell you what I think of them before I make them; but not after.

    ReplyDelete